Monday, October 31, 2005

~HAPPY HALLOWEEN ~

Today is a day that children throughout America consider one of the most incredible days of the year. All you gotta do is knock on someones door and when they answer shout out....."Trick or treat " and chances are they will give you a candy bar or "treat " you instead of the alternate "Trick" wich might include soap on your car windows or perhaps toilet paper strung through your trees or some tricks that I won`t even mention.
There is more to this day than the quaint picture I set out in the last paragraph. Throughout time it has been a magical sort of day when perhaps your predicessors in death may come to re - visit you . To perhaps settle a score or to prepare you for following them. Who can know the reasons,who can know if they are true?
Science has been trying to prove that there is no such thing as spirits or ghosts or goblins with no success. They can no more disprove it as the "Believers" can prove it.All I know this is my tale and I swear on my childrens lives that it is all 100 % true.
Being Irish in ancestry I love Celtic things. I have a dear friend on the internet whom I asked a huge imposition of and she complied willingly and cheerfully. I was greatfull for her effort then and even more so now.I asked her if she could find a metalsmith and ask him if he would craft a Celtic cross for me that I could wear, something, that would reflect my heritige.Very soon she had found the man for the job and he crafted a fine cross out of pewter and in its center it had a small green unpolished stone about the size of a green pea. She felt it should be unpolished since my being a manly man sort of man, if it were polished it would be more like jewlery as opposed to it's being a symbol of my deep and abiding faith.
She accomplished this task and would not take a penny for it which made it all the more valuble to me. She said anything that a man would use to get closer to his God should be given free, gratious. That if money were tied to it it would somehow spoil it.She sent it to me as soon as it was done and I put it round my neck and there it stayed untill the chain broke and I removed it from my inside my shirt and held it as I took a leather boot lace off my boot and strung it up gain and put it round my neck till I could find another chain. I had it fixed on the next trip to town and it stayed around my neck ever since and has not ever left ....BUT............. The stone fell from it and was lost somewhere. It was a dull stone with no luster and a natural color so that it would blend in anywhere and how it pained me I can never let you know because it was a lovely gift given by a dear friend and it had importance to me.
About a year later we bought new living room furniture and I will be the first to admit my chair is a great place to nap.It is overstuffed and it is brown corduroi and very comfortable. Very. I stress that because as I was sitting in my chair one afternoon . I was all alone and the house was quiet I was watching my favorite John Wayne movie, "THE QUIET MAN" and I had a habit of fondeling my cross absent mindedly. I fell asleep and as I heard the VCR begin to rewind I woke up and had a great need to use the bathroom. I extended my hands to the ends of the arms of the chair and I felt something under my left hand. I raised it carefully and there on the arm of my new furniture was the stone from my cross. How it got there I will never know. Ido know I am greatfull it has been returned to me .Very . I stress this very also because I found out a few days later that my friend who had my cross made for me had passed on at the same moment I was sleeping in my chair. Are these things related? I don't know But I wish I did. One of these days perhaps I will see her again and if I do I am sure gonna ask her if she did this for me.


1 comment:

GUYK said...

Lot of things happen that cannot be explained by our logic. It doesn't mean that there is or that there is not a supernatural force. But I look at it like this-all of the forces are natural. It is the ones that we don't understand that we tend to call supernatural.