Sunday, November 13, 2005

A Continuing Saga

As you folks all know I am attempting to get my health issues under control. I am in the process of getting bi-pass surgery done so that I can lose weight and get back to a normal life style. For those who aren't aware I had a serious fall about five years ago and due to the enforced inactivity during my recovery I had little to do other than eat. I was unable to exercise due to the damage my body recieved from the fall, and before I knew it, I was in the condition that I am in.

Last week I had to travel to Pittsburg and see the surgeon for a preliminary exam to determine if I were a viable candidate for the bi- pass. There are a number of different proceses available for the physcian to use and after a nearly three hour exam, it was determined that I would probably not survive the most radical process which is called a Roux-en Y Gastric Bypass . This is called this because it has meaning as to which sections of the stomach and the intestine are cut and how they are re-attached. This process gives the fastest results and is most effective in helping get rid of almost all of the bodys stored fat.

The evaluating surgeon determined that I would be best served by a banding by-pass which has had 100 % success rates with no fatalities but it is only approximately 80 % as effective as the Roux-en Y. She does not do this process though but someone else in her group does and it seems that I am going to b accepted as a patient.

I must complete the following.....6 months of nutritional counseling,a psychological evaluation, I must be seen by a internalist for a complete history and a physical and this must be documented and submitted to the surgeon, A complete work up by a cardiologist, A sleep study test, clearence from a pulmanologist, a gang of blood work, an ekg, upper endoscopy, colonoscopy, chest- x ray , and all pertenant medical records from the last ten years must be faxed to the surgeon. I also will be required to continue dieting and if I gain any weight at all I will be removed from the program

I must do this but it seems to me that it is a lot of hoops to jump through. If I would need say.............. heart surgery ,no problem, hop on the table and we will have you home by the end of the week. I hope it is done this way to keep it from becoming a dieting process and it is only doled out to those who are in trouble but six months is long damn time and six months of carrying this extra weight is even further debilitating me.Send those prayers and well wishes I 'm afraid I'm gonna need them.

1 comment:

Northwoods Woman said...

I had a friend, who recently died in her sleep the night before her 32nd birthday. She left behind a husband and 1 year old baby girl. She had this surgery 3 years ago. Although the autopsy was "inconclusive" I'm convinced it her death was from this surgery. You will be at risk for the rest of your life after this surgery. That's why there is so much preperation for it. Good luck hun.