Friday, July 29, 2005

} Here We Go Steelers.........{

Make no mistake, I am a dyed in the wool Steeler Fan and will always be BUT in the current negotiations with Hienz Ward, He has determined that he should hold out for more money. I absolutely disagree with that so called "wisdom"
Not to bring up ancient history but one of my personel heroes is a former Steeler legend named Rocky Blier. The Rock was a hero on more than the football field He is a Patriot and served his country honorably.
During his first year as a Steeler, Rocky was drafted and after boot camp was stationed in Viet Nam. He was unfortunate enough to step on a land mine and was told that he would never walk again let alone run. He told Mr. Rooney of his injury and Mr. Rooney held his position on the team.He held his position for two years untill Rock could re-hab himself good enough to return to the team and become one of the Steelers best. This little story was told to set the stage. The steelers are more than a team you play we pay scenario This is a team that will make a commitment and stand by it.
Now back to Hienz Ward, I have no clue as to what he has been offered and I honestly don`t care. I do know that he has been offered a eight million dollar bonus for signing his contract. If my memory isn`t failing me I recieved $100.00 as a bonus for signing my last contract. I realize that I can`t play football but I`m sure that Hienzwould run after the sight of a clogged toilet that I coped with on a daily basis.
Jerome Bettis has slowed a little and gained a few pounds and last year he stated that he would re -negotiate for a lower amount. Turns out he had the best year of his career. I think it is because he is a team player and Ithink that Mr. Ward would benefit from being a team player also.
At least that is the way I see it here on Arrathorns Alley !!

6 comments:

Don said...

While I agree with the jist of your post...

Have you never gone on strike while you were in a union? How is this any different, money amount differences aside?

Personally, I think all of those guys make too much money for playing a game, but... The market is there, and I never begrudge anyone their money...

There are very few professional athletes who play for the love of the game anymore.

Arathorn said...

While I agree with you Don, I must call bullshit on this one. Perhaps that is why, for you to take your family to a ball game it would cost a couple hundred dollars if you were generous enough to spring for cokes and hot dogs at the park also.Baseball was the great American passtime. You could always go to a game for nearly nothing. Football was not much different. Today most sports events are available for the,Average Joe if your willing to spend more money than I have spent for some of my cars. Sooner or later it gets to be too much to pay. Where is Plexico now? out priced for the Steelers.And yes I did go on strike while I was in a union but that is like comparing apples and oranges. I did not go on strike because I wanted more, I went on strike because my contract had expired. I was on strike for 111 days and went back to work for less than I was offered before the contract expired. It only cost me a house and a car.That is how I know you can in fact outprice your self and that is exactly what Hienz is doing. Take it two more steps down the road and the Steelers are playing to empty seats . Empty seats will cause the fans to wave bye bye to the team bus.

Michele said...

Well, being a Browns fan I certainly hope he prices himself out of the market!!!! *L* just kidding! I do agree that athletes are overpriced and overpaid, though! I'm not even going to touch the comment about unions!

GUYK said...

WEll!! Being a fan of the Tampa Bay Chokes I hope he never signs! LOL Do the chokes play the Steelers this year-damn I hope not! Just to flippin embarrassing for the chokes. Great site. I am a sports fan and have been called an athletic supporter at least a couple of times. But the only sport I am actually qualified to write about is 6" dashes and fishing.

Don said...

Ok, I see your points and all, but look at it from Ward's point of view.

Now, I'm not saying I think football is worth the kind of money they make, but Ward is one of the most productive receivers in the league. He's one of the best, if not the best blocking receivers in the game. Watch him get leveled in the middle of the field, and he always gets up smiling. He genuinely appears to love the game.

Taking all of that into consideration (and the fact that he is on his way to breaking a few Steelers records), he is like the 40th highest paid receiver in the league. That isn't commensurate with his skills and contribution to the team, I'm afraid to say.

Now, on the other hand, he did sign a contract, which isn't up until next year. And the Steelers have a "no practive, no negotiations" policy, so he may be putting his proverbial foot in his mouth.

It's just that if I were in his position, I'm not sure I wouldn't do what he's doing.

Mike Barer said...

I am a Seahawk fan, but a fan of Blier, Terry Hanratty, Franco, and Big Mean Joe.