Friday, July 15, 2005

} I DID NOT KNOW THAT {

After a one hour meeting with my primary care physcian last night the road ahead apears daunting and i`m afraid a gazillion problems. I am a firm believer in the greatest journeys beginning with a single step and last night I took my first toddeling step at reclaiming my life.
He said that I must go through a complete physical to make sure that there is nothing wrong with me before I can become a candidate for the surgery. I must have a colonoscopy (brrrrruuuuuughhhh) thank you very much, a upper and lower GI Series. All sorts of testing like a stress test ( Bah ..we all know a 350 lb. guy has no stress at all) and extensive physocologic evaluation before they can decide if this choice is right for me.
I also must continue to diet in a effort to lose weight so that it is easier to have the surgery. Alright question number one.................. If I can diet sucessfully why do I need the surgery? I think there is a lot more to this than I suspected in the beginning. Is this a trick set up or are they really trying to see if my body refuses to lose despite my best efforts? I will look for answers in the next visit.
Doc says this will be about a three month long process I just wish it were done and I were on the road to recovery. I suppose the time will fly or so they say when your having fun.........More to follow when I know it so will you...........................

5 comments:

Michele said...

Yes, it is a long road ahead, but nothing worthwhile is ever easy! I'll send you a site for a lady who just went through this surgery. Maybe you can go back and read her entries about some of the stumbling blocks she encountered. Hang in there!

Northwoods Woman said...

I know a couple of people who had that surgery and so far, all is good with them. Hope it works for you as well! Good Luck.

Saphyre Rose said...

You must show the doctors that you can continue a healthy lifestyle. NOT after you get the surgery you are going to get to the first Krispy Kreme and fill up.
A former friend of mine had the surgery, she dropped the weight, but then wouldn't keep up the program. She started eating crap ionstead of food and dropped from 400 to 200. It still wasn't what she needed to be. Her BMI was too high, she also smoked like a chimney.
Have you stopped smoking yet?
You must be able to show the docs that you are willing to live after this surgery.
I would join you, but I have had 7 too many surgeries.
You know I got your back!
Rose

Don said...

Rose speaks the truth.

You must be willing and able to live a healthy lifestyle in order for the surgery to work for you. You have to start before the surgery so that your body will be able to withstand the surgery itself, but there is also another reason:

You need to convince yourself that you're able to do it. By sticking to your diet and getting some mobility and exercise, you'll start to lose some of that weight and feel better before the surgery, which will be incentive to keep it up afterwards.

We're all behind you, George...

GUYK said...

I hope everything works out for you. I'm not quite to the point yet but if I can't get off of about fifty pounds in the next year it may be an option to consider. Take care. Guy