Tuesday, April 26, 2005

By gum I think I fially figured it out. I know I am stupid but I have come by it honestly. I suppose I wanted to think better of my fellow man than he deserves. I was thinking..........why on earth isn`t everyone as greatfull to live in this country as I am? After much thought and postulation I remembered (with the help of the way back machine) how my children wasn't really appreciative of some of the toys that we furnished them. Well........ all right I can understand why the boys didn`t like the deal on the barbies I got at the flea market,but, we did buy them some pretty cool stuff. It was always lying around inviting me to trample them or otherwise render them un-usable. But when they ended up earning some money and buying their own things..... by golley they no longer were strewn about but actually picked up and put away when they were done with them for the day.
~ SO ~
I think that is why most Americans today don`t appreciate the freedoms that they enjoy and it ends up being no big deal if one or two of those rights are taken away or changed or otherwise made to serve someone other than the general populace it was intended to.
I am about to change all of that...........Institute a Draft. commencing at age 18. All must register for this draft. Male or female ....no matter. Are you one of those people who don`t want to serve in the military or perhaps a contentious objector? Not a problem at all. You may serve in hospitals or nursing homes or in our park service or perhaps a volunteer shopper or just a friend sitter. All of our youth should be required to do this for a minimum of two years and in exchange for this service recieve the same benefits that our military recieves. This way their rights will have been earned and simply not just given to a ungratefull lot who will just poo poo them away. Wake up people things are comming down around your ears and you won't do a damn thing about it, or at least that is the way I see it here at Arathorns Alley

4 comments:

Michele said...

You make a good point!

Don said...

:) It's an epiphany, Geo...

Rights are not earned by being in the military. Our rights are guaranteed by the simple fact that we exist as human beings, as outlined in our constitution. There are those of us who did not serve (but who are grateful to those who do/did) who understand our rights and are grateful for them...

One of the reasons our military is the finest in the world is because it's voluntary.

With all of that said, I can certainly see your point. There are those people who might benefit from the military, but I would much rather have it voluntary. Morale in the military is important, and conscription would almost certainly bring it down, and a lot of soldiers who really don't want to be there will be liabilities to other soldiers on the battlefield.

Saphyre Rose said...

There is nothing wrong with children earning their toys for that matter. Especially when some games are upwards of $50 for computers and not all fathers are hackers (LEE).
Chores, homework, keeping rooms clean are all jobs that need doing and can earn them credits toward toys.

But I digress.
My boy signed up on his own, but there are many I see everyday that could use a good dose of military discipline. While there, they may leaarb this country is something to appreciate, not hang out in.
There is I assume a way to determine the ability of a person to handle the rigors of the battlefield. If not, make them corpmen to handle the bodies of the fallen, the military needs cooks as well as killers.

All I ask is that there be some sort of de-programming of the battlefield warriors. I have seen a family who was torn apart because the husband could not turn it off. There has to be help for that.

Yes, bring back the draft, and make sure the drafted go where they need to be.

Arathorn said...

I believe I may of been misunderstood by one of my readers I of all people know that your rights are not earned by serving in the military after all the people who never served are also afforded the same rights as those who have . And yes I know that our rights are outlined in the constitution and guarenteed by the simple fact that we exist. I was only trying to say perhaps more succintly here is that if people would take some active role in their country and its processes I think that they would have more value for those processes.