Sunday, June 19, 2005

Sorry I am so late posting today but I had a incredible Fathers day. My birthday was on the 13th and it was kinda downplayed. I should of been supiscious,but you know Dad .he is a trusting sort. The day started early with my wife bringing me coffee in bed, althought that is not a rare occurance it happens less frequently now that it is nearly as hard for her to mount the stairs as it is for me.The door creaked open and the smell of fresh coffee coupled with the chirp of the morning songbirds woke me sweetly.
She sat on the side of the bed as I drank my cup and cleared the nights cobwebs.She said something about a picnic for Fathers day and something about me not being disapointed and some other vague things as I tried to clear my head. I showered and dressed for the day and came downstairs and was soon joined by my granddaughter and my son. I watched as she gave him the Fathers day card she worked on yesterday and his face soften and a smile came to his face as he read her words. I thought for sure My card was forthcomming but as we fininshed that pot of coffee I kinda knew he had forgotten.
The phone had taken up its job of fraying my nerves everytime it rings and it was as if it were working piece work today. I was waiting for my youngest son to call and wish me a happy Fathers day but none of those nerve jangling tones seemed to be from him.I asked my wife well if we are going to have this picnic ......lets get it going on..she said just sit there and cool your heels Mr it is not time yet. I waited as long as I could I was in a tizzy. I had to do something i was being detained in my living room and couldn`t even go on the porch.Suddenly She said oh all right have it your way then,go out in the yard Thinking the pic nic was to begin I went out and not a soul was around. I looked at her as if to say whats going on and she pointed at the river bank and said go down there and they will start showing up. Almost as soon as i got down to the rivers edge, My youngest showed up on a rented pontton boat and took all of us out for a great day on the river. Everyone pitched in and paid the rental for my Fathers Day present. He insisted I drive and I felt like the greatest of all river men Mike Fink. It was great and a Fathers Day I will cherish for ever.

2 comments:

Michele said...

Sounds like you had a very nice Father's day!

Northwoods Woman said...

What a beautiful gift! you are a very lucky man