Saturday, June 18, 2005

Yippie I Oh Ki Yea

Yesterday was a day that should live in a Grandpa’s heart for the rest of time. The temperature was a nearly perfect 75 degrees and very low humidity and nary a cloud in the sky.
She filled her roll in the day as a little one filled with wonder and amazement at all she encountered. Her world was one of fun and fantasy. All she need do to make it real is imagine it, and there in her fertile mind it happened. The dozens of golden flowers she picked for her Granny (in reality dandelions) showed how much she loved her for every flower. The wild strawberries she picked fed the flock of birds that watched her play in the yard,(and told each other stories about it by their ceaseless chirping) and the time it took to eat her lunch was the longest time in the world.
She ran, she jumped, she flew on imaginary wings high high up in the sky. She raced her motorcycle at breakneck speeds or so the magic sound card Grandpa installed on it told her so.
I simply had the delicious pleasure of watching all of these things happen. I was granted the great privilege of watching a child stretch her imagination as she stretched her muscles. She ran so fast and so hard at 7:30 she wanted Grandpa to take her in so she could watch cartoons.
I have a habit of kinda kneeling in a chair to watch T V. It seems to be the least painful of positions for me. She busied herself by eating dinner and decided to watch T V while riding her favorite pony, me. She hopped on my back and I could feel her carefully fitting her feet to the stirrups and settled in to watch Tom and Jerry cartoons. Before long the gentle kicks in her pony’s side became less and less frequent. During one lull in the cartoons I felt her lay over in the saddle like some trail worn cowgirl. Her breathing became soft and regular. A soft snore came from her and then another and still another I whispered to her Granny to look and see and she smiled and nodded as if to tell me her little cowgirl is dreaming up new adventures. She gently scooped up the sleeping child and put her in her bed and covered her while the imaginary campfire(or so I thought) was keeping her warm and safe from coyotes and other varmints. Get along little doggie……………

1 comment:

Northwoods Woman said...

Awww how cute!