Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Well, I AM Simple !!

For all of you kind readers out there who have found yourselves having a moment of well, self doubt perhaps, or maybe wondering if your thought processes are normal, I submit for your reading pleasure a short story of how low a person can sink into the depths of stupidity and re-emirge some time later, none the less for wear,well more or less.
I thoughtlessly accepted a job in my youth to help my poor aged auntie and remove some floppy wall paper and repaint her bed room for her. I took her to the paint store( back in the day before super-centers) and after much time she finally selected a color that she could live with, (off white). We then took off for the hardware store where i purchased the necessary tools to complete this job. Some spackeling for the blemishes on the wall and the spackling/putty knives necessary to use that. A razor scraper and extra blades to scrape the wall paper off, a small angled brush to do the trim and a roller handle,some replacement rollers and of course a paint tray to allow me to roll the paint on the walls. Well armed I took her home and told her that I would bring my kiddos on Sturday and she could play with them while i worked in her bed room.
Saturday dawned grey and chilly but I thought little of it since we were to be indoors this day. I loaded the kids (threw them in the bed of the truck) there was no such thing as safety laws back then, kids rode in the bed of the pick -up truck cause there is no room for them in the cab.I loaded the tools and the supplies and off we went.
I arrived a few min later with the kiddos in fine form and we had a little breakfast and coffee and nearly the moment they went outside to play ,it began to rain. It was a frog strangler, not just a little rain but a deluge. As a result the kiddos had to play indoors while i worked. Being a somewhat responsible parent, I realized that the kiddos might migrate to the work site to check out the progress i was making and see if somehow or another they could impeed that. So, in my infinant wisdom i forsaw that the kids would definately get hold of the replacement blades for the razor scraper so I put them in my pocket so I could lay claim to avoiding a disaster.
I am working away.........scraping...........sanding.........filling..............sanding again...more scraping,,,,,,,,,, sweating.................Auntie brings up a cold drink (much needed) I decide it is time to have a ciggie (See I really was stupid back then) shook one out and put it in my mouth and reached in my pocket to get my lighter and a incredible pain shot up my middle finger, through my hand , and up my arm. I pulled my hand out of my jean pocket and my finger was horribly wounded. Blood was pouring out of the tip of my finger, my eyes welled with tears from the pain, I hooked the top of my pocket with the thumb of my seriously wounded hand and slid my left hand into my pocket ( To see what was in there that injured me so) As my hand slid into the pocket of my jeans I had a flash and remembered that I had put my spare blades in my pocket to keep them away from the kiddos. To bad the flash came only after I had injured the left hand also. I stood there rather stupidly ,blood cascading down both elbows and dripping onto the floor, kiddos dancing around me in a circle saying things like "gee Daddy you gonna be ok? " "I never saw anyone bleed that much Daddy" "Oh Daddy aunty is gonna be mad cause you got blood everywhere" Well soon the humiliation passed and I found Auntie and got some bandaids and squelched the blood flow. I drove myself to the hospital and got stitches in both hands and for some reason was asked to tell this story a number of times to different groups of people. For some reason patient privacy
didn`t apply here.
So readers don`t ever feel stupid about something .......you will live long enough to laugh at it....providing you can stop the bleeding

No comments: