Thursday, August 04, 2005

} KENNYWOOD {

Kennywood,Kennywood .It was a day I looked forward to for all of my summer. This was the treat of the season,in so many ways, better than Christmas.For those of you uninitiated,Kennywood is our local amusement park. It, in my humble opinion, is the finest park that I have ever been to in my life. I have been to the Disneys (world & land). Knottsberry farm,Sea World, Six Flags and a few others that have since closed.
In my youth the entire community went to Kennywood on our comunity picnic day. The whole town would shut down and in my youth get on the train, and latter on the busses, and then finally the personel car. We would have our picnic baskets because they would have really great pavillions with cold water and bathrooms and a sink if you needed some hot or cold water. Everyone left their baskets on the table. They were all unsecured,not a one was locked, and not a singe one was ever tampered with.
The kiddos would be ready run the moment we got there. The first coasters inside the park was the Racer and the Jackrabbit. They were built in 1927 and 1921 and rebuilt in 1990 and 1991. we would pile up to the booth to buy your ride tickets and off to ride those two. On to the Pippin built in 1924and rebuilt as my personel favorite THE THUNDERBOLT It was named as the best wooden rollycoaster in the world three times. Later there would be bigger faster stronger versions like the steel Phantom with a length of over 3000 ft a drop of what seems like 500 feet because it follows a climb of 250 feet and it reaches 80 mph also.
It also offers the best park food in the world. French Fries at the potatoe patch, corn dog with mustard at the corndog stand, hot sausage at the sausage pagoda,a square ice cream cone covered with chockolate that you got and ate on the trainride that went in a continous loop around the track. A funnel cake with stawberrys and whipped cream and soon the lights would come on all the rides and it would cool and be sooooooo nice. a last few rides befor the park closed and on the loud speaker they would play thank you and goodnight (a great oldie that still takes me back as though it were yesterday. )We would stop at the
fudge stand on our way out if we saved the money from our allowances nd fall imediately to sleep on the softly swaying train. Dreamin dreams of next year.
Well this year I did not go.And I am sad.. .....It's ok I will go next year

3 comments:

GUYK said...

Souds like fun to me!

I finally managed to get you on my blog roll. I have put it on and it screwed up about a half a dozen time but this time it works!

Don said...

Just a comment, Arathorn...

You have GUYK's name spelled wrong in your links...

And Kennywood is definately my favorite park, but they are facing stiff competition these days from Cedar Point and Geauga Lake.

Michele said...

It's been a few years since I have been to an amusement park; seems like other aspects of life get in the way every time! Maybe I don't put enough importance on it to just 'get it done'!!