Wednesday, August 24, 2005

} A Rememberance Of By-gone Days {

They say your senses are powerfull tools to help you recall people or places or events in your life. They may not be earth shattering events or perhaps barely worth recalling except for the fact that somehow or another the stimulating of that particular sense touches you in what may be a deep dark place or a thing of wonder that you loved as a youth.
A dear friend knocked gently on my door yesterday. I opened it and saw her there ,smiling as she always seems to be. She had a good sized box in her hand and as she stepped towards the door it hit me. A aroma from my mis-spent youth.It was sweet and warm and oh so delicious.It seems she had a windfall of peaches and wanted to share them with us.The smell of the treasure contained inside that box was incredible. She sat the box on the table an removed the lid and the smell of those peaches took me back some fifty years to my youth. We used to get peaches just like thes. They are almost the size of soft balls,with a fine coating of fuzz on the skin. The skin is a beautifull blending of red, yellow,and almost a deep purple. I could not help my self I reached into the box and took one and it was still warm as though it was picked from the tree only moments before.The first bite sent peach nectare running down my chin,over my hand and towards my elbow to drip carelessly on the floor. The flesh of that fruit was golden as could be.Then it hit I was about six years old and sticky from peaches.It was a sweet summer moment that I thankfully relived yesterday. Thanks for the peaches, I `ll call when the cobbler is ready and thank you sooo much for the ride on the time machine.

2 comments:

Michele said...

Lovely how an aroma can carry one back to sweeter times!

Saphyre Rose said...

I love them. The roadside stands here are full of the last of the summer's Vidalia onions and beautiful peaches.
It is great being so close to Georgia. All these wonderful things coming out of the South.
Cobbler is good, but peach marlmalade is better. I got a recipe if you want it!